Top tips for new growers!
We know how complicated it may seem when you first start to grow, and it seems like there’s a lot of things to understand. But once you know what you’re doing it gets easier! We’ve thought of 5 top tips that we think will help you on your way to becoming an expert!
- When using base feeds e.g. VitaLink Hydro MAX, ensure that you use the stated dosage rate to keep a balance of the nutrients in solution. Using less or more may hinder your plants performance. Always keep your grow room clean, lack of hygiene can lead to pests and diseases.
- Always keep your grow room clean, lack of hygiene can lead to pests and diseases.
- Always check the EC of your water before you buy your nutrients. Water hardness may vary depending on your water supplier – even if you are in the same city as your friend, your water readings may still vary. EC meters measure the amount of salt in a solution, the higher the EC figure the harder your water is. Too much salt is toxic for plants, so make sure you choose the relevant hard or soft water nutrient feed.
- Always check your pH. When using VitaLink, a range between 5.8-6.5 is recommended. We use high quality chelates which protect the elements from bonding with each other, making them more available for when the plant demands them. (Please note that when using other nutrients their pH range may vary).
- Altering the pH can be a nightmare, especially if you overdose on pH down… then you’ll have to pH your way back up again… annoying! VitaLink pH Down Easy is a less concentrated pH adjustment product making it easier to use! If you make a note of how many drops you use per pH movement, this will help take away the guesswork. Note – the size of your tank will affect how quickly the pH increases or decreases when using pH stabilisers. The bigger the tank the more pH product you’ll have to use.